Interesting Thing of the Day is a virtual museum of interesting things. The articles are written by Joe Kissell and Morgen Jahnke (with occasional contributions by guest columnists) and published by alt concepts inc.
Affiliate disclosure: Many articles include links to products that generate referral fees for us. In particular, Interesting Thing of the Day is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
About alt concepts inc.
alt concepts is an internet publishing business that produces smart, entertaining, and user-friendly books and websites. Along with a team of enthusiastic contributors, Wordsmiths-in-Chief Joe Kissell and Morgen Jahnke share a passion for language and ideas. Besides Interesting Thing of the Day, we also feature Take Control Books, Joe On Tech, and I Am Joe’s Blog.
A Brief History of Interesting Thing of the Day
This site has undergone numerous changes over the past few years. Here are the highlights.
- April 1, 2003
- Initial launch (ITotD version 1.0)
- April–November, 2003
- New articles every single day through November 2, plus two more articles later in November
- December, 2003
- ITotD goes on hiatus
- April 1, 2004
- New article announces relaunch of site with a solid year of daily articles, to begin June 1, 2004
- June 1, 2004
- ITotD version 2.0 goes live with several new features, including email subscriptions and audio recordings, plus a commitment to a solid year of daily articles
- June 1, 2004–May 31, 2005
- Daily articles, of which 207 were updated versions of articles that appeared in 2003 and 158 were brand new
- June 1, 2005
- ITotD once again goes on hiatus
- June 1, 2005–May 30, 2006
- Selected recycled articles from ITotD version 2.0 run on weekdays (excluding holidays)
- May 31, 2006
- ITotD version 3.0 launches: new logo, complete site redesign, new schedule
- July 1, 2007
- Joe and Morgen move to Paris, and articles decrease in frequency
- March 19, 2008
- Our last new article (for the time being) was published
- March 31, 2013
- We noted the 10th anniversary of Interesting Thing of the Day with a one-off article.
- April 1, 2018
- As Interesting Thing of the Day turns 15, we launch version 4.0 of the site, with a complete redesign.