About Interesting Thing of the Day
Interesting Thing of the Day is a virtual museum of interesting things. The articles are written by Joe Kissell and Morgen Jahnke (with periodic contributions by guest columnists) and published by alt concepts.
Publication schedule: Earlier incarnations of the site took the phrase “of the day” quite literally: for a while, there was a new article every single day—even weekends and holidays. Currently, we are on an extended hiatus from publishing new articles, but recycled articles from the archives appear three times per week.
About alt concepts inc.
alt concepts is an internet publishing business that produces smart, entertaining, and user-friendly Web sites. Along with a team of enthusiastic contributors, Wordsmiths-in-Chief Joe Kissell and Morgen Jahnke share a passion for language and ideas. Besides Interesting Thing of the Day, we also feature Morgen’s blog, Spectatrix, which provides humorous and insightful commentary about the world of introverts, and I Am Joe’s Blog, Joe’s thoughts on topics ranging from computers to cooking.
A Brief History of Interesting Thing of the Day
This site has undergone numerous changes over the past few years. Here are the highlights.
- April 1, 2003:
- Initial launch (ITotD version 1.0)
- April–November, 2003:
- New articles every single day through November 2, plus two more articles later in November
- December, 2003:
- ITotD goes on hiatus
- April 1, 2004:
- New article announces relaunch of site with a solid year of daily articles, to begin June 1, 2004
- June 1, 2004:
- ITotD version 2.0 goes live with several new features, including email subscriptions and audio recordings, plus a commitment to a solid year of daily articles
- June 1, 2004–May 31, 2005:
- Daily articles, of which 207 were updated versions of articles that appeared in 2003 and 158 were brand new
- June 1, 2005:
- ITotD once again goes on hiatus
- June 1, 2005–May 30, 2006:
- Selected recycled articles from ITotD version 2.0 run on weekdays (excluding holidays)
- May 31, 2006:
- ITotD version 3.0 launches: new logo, complete site redesign, new schedule
- July 1, 2007:
- Joe and Morgen move to Paris, and articles decrease in frequency
- March 19, 2008:
- Our last new article (for the time being) was published
Interesting Thing of the Day is designed, edited, and hosted exclusively on Macintosh computers.